Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Reading List in 2013

I'm somewhat a bibliophile. From novel to manga, fiction and non-fiction, as long as it's a good read then I will buy and read it. That's why I think I would share list of some books that I've read this year. I usually buy lots of novels but this year I think it predominantly non-fiction books. You could see it in the list below:

  • 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism
It came out in 2010 but I only bought it in 2013. >///<.  Because my work had something to do with ASEAN harmonization, recently I'm interested in free trade area and free market which I think is a bullshit. He he he. I mean, those developed nations had protected their industries for years and now they force us, developing countries, to enter the free trade area without enough preparation. It's cheating, really, even though people say it's inevitable in this global world. 

This bestseller book author is Ha-Joon Chang, a heterodox economist and professor at Cambridge University. I found this book is fun to read and enlightening, even though I don't always agree with his point. But most of his explanation are interesting and sound. I recommended this book for anyone who interested in capitalism, economy and anyone in general who love to read a good book.

  • The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust
I found this book, which is wrote by a Wall Street Journal writer -Robert Frank-, amusing. The central theme is how the rich's wealth now depend largely on rising asset values, and how asset price movements correspondingly affect their overall wealth, increasing the volatility of their fortunes. Robert Frank write about how the increasing vulnerability of the rich to the booms and bust of the stock market wreak havoc on the consumer economy, financial market, communities and government finances. It's because the drastic change of the rich wealth will affect their consumption of services, tax, and hence, employment of a lot of people. Interesting. Even though the solutions in this book are unclear. If you want a "light" read written in clear and concise narration about economy and amusing stories from "the rich and the famous", this book is for you. 



  • A Song of Ice and Fire

I heard rumor about how Game of Thrones, a TV series that based on A Song of Ice and Fire, is really good. I download some of the episodes and fall in love with it. Because I really curious and can't wait to know about how the story goes, I bought  all of the five books in this series after watch the season 3. Overall I found the story is really good and the premise is really interesting. I love many of its character too! Particularly Daenerys Targaryan, John Snow and Tyrion Lannister. But maybe the world that George R.R. Martin created is too complicated and too large that sometimes I have to take a long break to read one book because I have to processed all the intrigue and stories that I just read. I can't wait to read the next book! I'm really curious about the meeting of Danny with Prince Aegon. What would it be like? And then I really curious too about how the relationship between Tyrion and Sansa Stark will be developed. Call me crazy, but I actually kind of like them to be a couple. He he he. Whatever. I'm looking forward to the next season of Game of Thrones. Winter is coming, everyone. So brace yourself.

  • George and The Big Bang

It's a book for kid so I found it to be only slightly enlightening. That's why I plan to buy "A Brief History of Time" and "The Grand Design" if I have extra money.


  • Sherlock Holmes the Complete Novels and Stories

It consist of 2 volumes and cover the complete adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I recommended it to anyone who want to read all of the original novels and stories about our favorite detective (in English).

  • Cat's Cradle
Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite author and Cat's Cradle is his 4th novel. This novel was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1964. That's why I was really curious and end up ordered it on Amazon because I couldn't find it in book store in Jakarta. It's really interesting. Like most of his book, this one is a satirical commentary on modern human and their madness. Exploring the idea of fictional country, fictional religion -Bokononism- and a substance called ice-nine. Ha ha ha. It's hilarious too. Recommended. 

By the way, here are some books that I haven't finished read. I will write review about it if it's worth to be discussed or recommended.
  1. Why Nations Fail
  2. Greedy Bastards
  3. Bought and Paid For
  4. End Game
  5. Need, Speed and Greed
  6. How to Ride A Dragon Storm
  7. The Magic of Reality
  8. Mad Science
  9. Slaughterhouse Five
Please tell me if you had any suggestion regarding book that I must read. Comment bellow and let me know ^^.

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment