Sunday, January 12, 2014

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic is a manga by Shinobu Ohtaka that have been published by Shogakukan since 2009. In Indonesia, 3 volumes of this manga has been published. I heard that it's a great manga. That's why I download the 1st episode of the anime to have a glimpse of its story. But unfortunately, at first I wasn't impressed. I think the flow of the story in the 1st episode of the anime is not right. Moreover, I didn't really like the character of Aladdin and Alibaba that was portrayed in that episode and the friendship that bloomed between them didn't have a great impact on me.

Sometimes after that, I encounter this manga in Gramedia bookstore. Because I keep heard how good this manga is, I want to give it another chance and end up read it. I was a little bit surprised that the 1st episode of the anime is different with the manga. The story in the manga is better and makes me like the characters more. Short story, I end up collecting it.

The main characters. Morgiana, Alibaba and Aladdin
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic is a fantasy manga sets in fictional world where there's a lot of nations and empire that amusingly have some resemblances with real-life nations in our world. For example, Kou empire is similar with Chinese Empire and Reim Empire is similar with Roman Empire. It draw inspiration from the story One Thousand and One Nights, hence the main characters are named Aladdin and Alibaba.

King Vessels from Kou Empire. Hakuryu Ren, Hakuei Ren, Judal, Kouen Ren, Koumei Ren, Kouha Ren, and Kyougoku Ren. Credit to: nuriko-kun.deviantart.com

This manga follow the story of a Magi named Aladdin and his chosen King Vessel, Alibaba. Magi is a magician of  that shape the world. A Magi's job is to select a King Vessel and lead their vessels to become king. Exactly what one is supposed to do to achieve this is unknown. All that was revealed in the manga is Magi can raise Dungeon with Djin, treasure and lots of magical item. Each person that want to become a king must go and clear the Dungeon to achieve power that is needed to become a king. If they success, they become a King Vessel and own a Djin. All the King Vessel in the manga only have 1 djin, with the exception of Sinbad (7) and Kouen Ren (3).
Sinbad and his Eight Generals
What I love the most from this manga is the story. It's quite deep for a shonen manga. It show us the complicated relationship between nations, mirroring the problem that a nations encounter in our real-life world. It also tell stories about how a nations could take control of other nations, how a king win support, create alliance, and so on. In short, it's interesting. I love its story about magic and swordsmanship. It's pretty funny too. I also love the romance between Alibaba and Morgiana. Ah, and I choose one of its antagonist, Judal, to be in the List of 15 Manga Antagonist which is Too Cool Too Hate. I love the anime soundtrack too.

Overall, I really like this manga and recommend you to read it. I don't really like the first episode of the anime but it gets better as it's keep going and somehow managed to become one of my favorite. So, read it. Watch it. And then let me know your impression about it ^^.

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment