Saturday, January 4, 2014

Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee)

Tegami Bachi is a manga by Hiroyuki Asada sensei. I know Asada sensei because he's the author of I'll, a basketball manga about rivals turn bestfriend, Akane Tachibana and Hitonari Hiiragi. I like it. I always love manga about friendship after all. That's why I'm looking forward to his next manga and feel pretty happy to encounter Tegami Bachi (Letter Bee) in Gramedia. If my memories is right, my friend ever recommended this manga to me. She said that Tegami Bachi is a manga that worth to be collected because the drawing is beautiful. She's right! I end up collected this manga just based on its art alone, without even read it first. For your information, before decide to buy a manga I always read it online first. In this case, I just read the summary and think the story has potential. And then just bought it^^. He he he.

Cover of Volume 1. Gauche Suede and Lag Seeing
Tegami Bachi is a dystopian manga that take place in AmberGround, a fictional land illuminated by an artificial sun that divided into 3 separate territory (Akatsuki, Yuusari, and Yodaka). It kind of remind me of the division of Wall Shina, Wall Rose and Wall Maria in Attack on Titan. But of course it's not inspired or take any idea from Attack on Titan because Tegami Bachi is released first (Tegami Bachi is running from 2006 while Attack on Titan is running from 2011).

Tegami Bachi follow the story of Lag Seeing, a boy that aspire to be a Letter Bee after delivered as a letter by a Letter Bee named Gauche Suede. In case you're wondering, a Letter Bee is pretty much like a postman. But the job as a letter bee in AmberGround is much more dangerous than the life as postman in our world because letter bee had to fight a Gaichuu, giant armored insects who attempt to feed off the "heart" that reside within letters and packages. You could read more about it here.


I absolutely love the art of this manga. Moreover, I really love the color. AmberGround is mostly hidrangea color (purple and blue). The character design is cool too. As for the story, it surprisingly satisfied me although sometimes I can't relate to it. I usually love a more deep and heavy story. But even thought the story of this manga is light, I can enjoy it. Interesting characters is what this manga lacking, particularly the antagonist side. I don't see any interesting antagonist. Lag seeing is a very benevolent protagonist, and cute as a little brother but honestly sometimes I can't relate to him. My favorite characters from this manga are Gauche Suede, Jiggy Pepper, and Zazie Winter, all is rarely seen. Ha ha ha.

Niche, Steak, Connor, Lag and Zazie
Anyway, this manga has been adapted into 2 anime. It's quite good too. It might be depend on your preference, but I will still recommend this manga to you. So, read it then tell me what you think about it^^.

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment